2. Words that are repeated from (a book, an author, etc.).
3. The repetition or copying of words by another person; usually, with an acknowledgment of the sources or origins.
Compositions, both secular and of a religious nature, providing thoughts about faith and personal meditations for consideration.
A dictionary is merely the universe arranged in alphabetical order.
The finest words in the world are only vain sounds if you cannot comprehend them.
Emotional outbursts do need to be properly scripted, and I find that the impromptu, in particular, requires prior practice.
The vocabulary of science and medicine is the language of Greece and Rome. Lack of knowledge of Greek and Latin roots hampers the mastery of scientific terminology.
To be a power one must know how to use language; and how can you place words together unless you know their derivation and their real meaning?
Words play an enormous part in our lives and are therefore deserving of the closest study.
Dan Quayle quotes:
- A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls.
- I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy, but that could change.
- If we do not succeed, then we run the risk of failure.
- I love California; I practically grew up in Phoenix.
- I stand by all the misstatements that Ive made.
- It isnt pollution thats harming the environment. Its the impurities in our air and water that are doing it.
- One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice-president, and that one word is to be prepared.
- People that are really very weird can get into sensitive positions and have a tremendous impact on history.
- The future will be better tomorrow.
- The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nations history. I mean in this centurys history. But we all lived in this century. I didnt live in this century.
- The loss of life will be irreplaceable.
- We are ready for any unforeseen event that may or may not occur.
- We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a part of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a part of Europe.
- Were going to have the best-educated American people in the world.
- What a waste it is to lose ones mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is.
- When I have been asked during these last weeks who caused the riots and the killing in L.A., my answer has been direct and simple: Who is to blame for the riots? The rioters are to blame."
"Who is to blame for the killings? The killers are to blame.
- Verbosity leads to unclear, inarticulate things.
Groucho Marx quotes:
- A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
- Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped.
- I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.
- I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
- Ive had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasnt it.
- Those are my principles, and if you dont like them . . . well, I have others.
- When I picked up your book I was so convulsed with laughter that I had to set it down, but one day I intend to read it.
- Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read.
- Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. Theres no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere.
Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke.
Politicians say theyre beefing up our economy. Most dont know beef from pork.
Washington is a place where politicians dont know which way is up and taxes dont know which way is down.
Politics is the art of getting money from the rich and votes from the poor, with the pretext of protecting one from the other.
Offer bright prospects to orthopedists.
Nostalgia is like a grammar lesson: A person often finds the present tense and the past perfect.
As a memory aid, I need ’em.
But they’d be more helpful later
If only I could read ’em.
That’s gaining increasing exposure;
Situations that formerly came to an end
Now have to be brought to closure.
We leave without apology.
Grown up, we swap kid stuff like you
For channeling and astrology.
All our computers are currently helping other customers.
May I transfer you to a person?
A black hole is a starcophagus.
Practiced, of course,
I hope I do not live to see
The death of the apostrophe.
For readers all will suffer fits
In disentangling its from it's,
And they may also rave and rant,
Unable to tell cant from can't;
Not to mention how they feel
When they mix up well and we'll.