, more vegetal, most vegetal
1. A reference to or relating to processes in plants and animals that do not involve sexual reproduction; vegetative.
2.Relating to or characteristic of vegetables or plant life.
vegetarian (s) (noun)
, vegetarians (pl)
1. One who lives wholly or principally upon vegetable foods: A vegetarian
is a person who on principle abstains from any form of animal food, or at least such as is obtained by the direct destruction of animal life.
Vegans strictly adhere to this regimen, but other vegetarians also consume eggs (ovovegetarians), or dairy products (lactovegetarians, or both (ovolactovegetarians).
2. Animals that live on vegetables.
3. Consisting of vegetables or plants.
vegetarianism (s) (noun)
, vegetarianisms (pl)
1. The policy of eating a diet that consists of vegetables and fruit and which excludes meat, and often also excludes animal by-products; such as, cheese and eggs: Historically, vegetarianism was practiced for religious reasons, tradition or purity; more recently, people report their reasons for abstaining from consuming meat are more for health or ethical reasons .
2. The practice of restricting or eliminating meat from one's diet: A strict <>vegetarianism eliminates all animal-derived foods; including, dairy products and eggs.
, vegetates; vegetated; vegetating
To grow as or like a plant.
vegetation (s) (noun)
, vegetations (pl)
1. An aggregation of plants, or plant life, in a geographical area.
2. The plant life growing in a specified area.
vegetation and ecosystem mapping (s) (noun)
, vegetation and ecosystem mappings
An art and a science concerned with the drawing of maps that locate different kinds of plant cover in a geographic area.
vegetation management (s) (noun)
, vegetation managements (pl)
The art and practice of manipulating vegetation; such as, timber, forage, crops or wild life, in order to produce a desired part or aspect of that material in higher quantities or qualities.
vegetation zone (s) (noun)
, vegetation zones (pl)
1. A large area of the earth's surface, often spanning continents, in which vegetation with similar characteristics can be found.
2. A plant community which forms regional pagtterns based on the area's geography, geology, and history.
vegetational plant geography (s) (noun) (no pl)
A field of study which maps the growing regions of seedling organisms and analyzes them in terms of ecology, environmental, or ecological conditions: Mr. Younge, the professor of geography, was telling Kevin and the rest of his students about vegetational plant geography and how it differs in various areas of the world.
, more vegetative, mort vegetative
1. Engaged in or relating to processes of nutrition or growth, as distinct from reproduction.
2. Existing like a vegetable, without will or consciousness; relating to or typical of vegetation, plants, or plant growth.
3. Characterized by the reduction or absence of the usual mental or physical functions, often as a result of injury to the brain.
4. A reference to involuntary bodily functions or to the autonomic nervous system; such as, digestion or the autonomic nervous activity, or to a structure or stage in development which is concerned with nutrition and growth.
Autonomic is a term which refers to an action or response that occurs without conscious control.
vegetative eunuch (s) (noun)
, vegetative eunuchs (pl)
A plant which completes its life cycle without producing any seeds.
vegetative propagation (s) (noun)
, vegetative propagations (pl)
The production of a new plant from a portion of another plant; such as, a stem or a branch.
vegetativeness (s) (noun) (usually no plural)
1. The quality of producing growth.
2. An involuntarily unconscious function as produced by the parasympathetic nervous system.
vegeto animal, vegeto-animal (adjective)
; more vegeto animal, more vegeto-animal; most vegeto animal, most vegeto-animal
A reference to or relating to both plants and animals: The cake that Mark made was vegeto animal
because two of its ingredients were butter and flour.
Jack wanted to make chili for dinner, but he didn’t want to use animal flesh, so he added a vegeto animal hamburger that was made with vegetables instead, even though it looked like meat.