philopatridomania (s) (noun)
, philopatridomanias (pl)
An irresistible urge to return home; homesickness: When away on a foreign exchange program in Germany, one of the students was afflicted with philopatridomania
and flew back to his family within a month of his stay.
It is not uncommon for young students to have a case of philopatridomania, if it is the very fist time to be away from home and family.
A case of philopatridomania can also be a compulsion to return to one’s native land, as seen in prisoners of war.
A compulsion for bloodletting as was once practiced by medical doctors who believed that most illnesses were caused by diseased blood and could only be cured by bleeding their patients; even if it killed them.
Defined as homicidal mania (where Greek phonos = murder); an older term for homicidomania.
An obsession with noise or sounds.
1. An irresistible craving for light or the sun (heliolatry).
2. A morbid or exaggerated desire for light.
3. Maniacal symptoms increased by the effect of light.
An obsolete term for collapse delirium; delirious mania.
A compulsion to be thinking all the time.
An abnormal interest in tuberculosis; such as, an over concern that one might contract the disease.
An abnormally excessive development of leaves.
A craze for collecting plants.
1. A compulsion to wander.
2. The morbid impulse to leave home and discard many social restraints.
3. A strong desire, or urge, to live a life of simplicity free from social restraints or obligations.
plutomania (s) (noun)
, plutomanias (pl)
1. An insane love of or pursuit of wealth: The old man was known for his plutomania
in that he was always seeking financial advantages instead of friendships.
2. A form of insanity in which people imagine or delude themselves into thinking that they possess great wealth: The doctor diagnosed Mr. Smith as having a severe case of plutomania
based on his observation that the patient pretended to be wealthy and frequently wrote checks involving fictitious bank accounts.
© ALL rights are reserved.
Go to this Word A Day Revisited Index
so you can see more Mickey Bach illustrations.
plutomaniac (s) (noun)
, plutomaniacs (pl)
Characterized by a person who has an insane love or pursuit of wealth: "Kim's father had a reputation for being a plutomaniac who emphasized his financial gains much more than any devotion to his family."
pogomaniac (s) (noun)
, pogomaniacs (pl)
Someone who is obsessed with having a beard no matter what anyone says about the unhealthy conditions that exist with beards or other negative aspects of beards.
pogonomania (s) (noun)
, pogonomanias (pl)
An excessive desire to have a beard or an obsession with seeing men with beards.
You can find self-scoring quizzes over many of the words in this subject area by going to this Compulsive Behavior
Cross references of word families that are related directly, or indirectly, to: "anger, angry; rage, wrath, fury; rave":