(Latin: suffix; quality of, act of, process, function, condition, or place; forms nouns that denote an action; a product of an action; a place, an abode)
2. To mentally conceive an image or a picture of something; especially, as a future possibility: Many people are envisaging a world where all nations can get along with each other.
Janette and Erin envisaged an opportunity to finally be able to buy their own home.
2. Fruits collectively.
3. The product or result of some effort.
2. The diagnosis is obvious when the hemmorrhage is visible. When it is internal, diagnosis is made from the patient\'s general condition: shock, weak, rapid, and irregular pulse; pallor; cold, moist skin.
3. Non-medical: a large uncontrolled loss of something valuable.
2. Ceremonial acknowledgment by a vassal of allegiance to his lord: "A vassal was one who held land from a feudal lord and received protection in return for homage and allegiance."
2. An aqueous solution of a gum utilized for suspending rather insoluble substances in mixtures.
Another use is to increase the viscosity of oil-in-water emulsions; such as, those used for dermatologic preparations and lubricating medications.
2. The rank, status, or title of a nobleman or noblewoman.
3. A book listing the members of the nobility and giving information about their families.
2. The status or condition of being a peon.
2. A proportion or share in relation to a whole; a part: "The hecklers constituted only a small percentage of the audience."
3. An amount; such as, an allowance, duty, or commission, that varies in proportion to a larger sum, for example, total sales: "They are working for a percentage of the gross sales."
When preceded by the, percentage takes a singular verb:
"The percentage of unskilled workers is relatively small."
The percentage of errors in his term paper is excessive."
When preceded by a, percentage takes either a singular or plural verb, depending on the number of the noun in the prepositional phrase that follows:
"A small percentage of the new workers are unskilled."
"A large percentage of the crop was lost because of the lack of rain."
"A large percentage of the electorate still remains undecided."
2. A character in a book, a movie, or play.
Consisting of the contour feathers, or the ordinary feathers covering the head, neck, and body; the tail feathers, with their upper and lower coverts; the wing feathers, including primaries, secondaries, and tertiaries, with their coverts; and the down which lies beneath the contour feathers.2. The covering of feathers over a bird's body.
It may vary with the age of the bird or the season of the year, and accordingly it may be described as breeding plumage, winter plumage, or juvenile, immature, or adult plumage.
In detailed descriptions of the external feathers (topography) of birds, standardized names are normally used for the various sections of the plumage, for example malar region and tail coverts.
The malar region refers to the cheek, defined in birds as the area in front of, and slightly below, the eyes.
The tail coverts are the small feathers covering the base of the tail. They are grouped as upper and lower tail coverts.