theanthroposophy (s) (noun)
, theanthroposophies (pl)
A system of belief concerning a God-man: Theanthroposophy is a doctrine that relates to Christ as being both God and human.
theanthropy (s) (noun)
, theanthropies (pl)
1. The assigning of human characteristics to a god or gods.
2. The Christian doctrine that the human and the divine are united in Jesus Christ.
3. The doctrine of the union of the divine and human natures, or of the manifestation of God as man, in Christ.
thearchy (s) (noun)
, thearchies (pl)
1. The rule or government of God or of a god; a theocracy.
2. An order or system of deities.
3. A community that is ruled by priests; mostly the rule of priests.
theism (s) (noun)
, theisms (pl)
1. Belief that one God created and rules humans and the world, not necessarily accompanied by belief in divine revelation such as through the Bible.
2. Belief in the existence of a god or gods.
theist (s) (noun)
, theists (pl)
A person who believes in the existence of a god or gods: "Theists are those who believe in the existence of a god; especially, those who believe in a personal god."
Reference to a believer in a personal God as creator and ruler of the universe, but not necessarily accompanied by a belief in divine revelation; such as, through the Bible.
A reference to beliefs in a god which is founded on the observation of celestial bodies.
theoastrology (s) (noun)
, theoastrologies (pl)
A belief in gods that is based on the existence and interpretations of celestial bodies.
Cocoa or chocolate which was translated literally to mean food of the gods: "Linnæus, a botanist, was so fond of chocolate that he named the cocoa tree Theobroma, the food of the gods."
theobromine (s) (noun)
, theobromines (pl)
A white powder derived from the cacao bean, found in chocolate products and which has effects similar to caffeine: "Theobromine has been used as a diuretic in treating cardiovascular disorders and as a myocardial stimulant."
"Dogs consuming excessive amounts of cocoa sometimes suffer toxic effects from the theobromine; such as, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle spasms, and coma."
"Theobromine comes from modern Latin Theobroma, genus name of the cacao tree, literally 'food of the gods'."
With God, a god, or gods as the focal point; or having God as the central point of fact: "Some people try to live theocentric lives."
"There have been some theocentric civilizations, but where are they now?"
theocentricity (s) (noun)
, theocentricities (pl)
When God is the center of attention: "Theocentricity is having God as the central or main interest and the ultimate concern."
theocentrism (s) (noun)
, theocentrisms (pl)
Having God as the main or central point of thoughts, interests, and feelings.
Anointed by God: "A theochristic action is to choose or to designate someone or something for a particular purpose or to choose by or as if by divine intervention."
theocracy (s) (noun)
, theocracies (pl)
1. A government made up of people (priests or other clergy) who claim to represent God: The Buddhist theocracy existed in Tibet by the Dalai Lama before it was taken over by the Chinese.
2. A community governed usually by priests, according to some form of religious law: A current example of a theocracy is Vatican City where it issues its own currency and postage stamps and has its own newspaper and broadcasting facilities.
3. A priestly order or religious body exercising political or civil power: Vatican City has a government called a theocracy that is run by a lay governor and council, however all of them are responsible to the Pope who is the official administrator.
If you would like to take self-scoring quizzes over many of the words in this section, then click on these Theo Quizzes so you can see how much you know about the following "theo-, -theism" words.
Related religious-word units: