astrapomania (s) (noun)
; astrapomanias (pl)
An unusually strong fascination or crazy desire to see lightening and thunder storms.
automania (s) (noun)
, automanias (pl)
1. A compulsion toward solitude or of being by oneself.
2. A preoccupation or thinking about committing suicide.
autophonomania (s) (noun)
, autophonomanias (pl)
1. An obsessive desire to commit suicide.
2. A condition in which someone is suicidal.
balletomania (s) (noun)
, balletomanias (pl)
A passionate addiction or desire to see or to participate in ballet dancing.
ballistomania (s) (noun)
, ballistomanias (pl)
A fascination with the various bullets which can be fired from a gun.
bancomania (s) (noun)
, bancomanias (pl)
A craze for establishing banks where money is stored for saving or commercial purposes or is supplied for loans or exchanged.
Most countries have a variety of banks for businesses and for individuals who want to have a safe place for their income; however, sometimes there are too many banks and so some of them either go out of business or are taken over by other banking institutions.
bibliokleptomania, bibliocleptomania (s) (noun)
; bibliokleptomanias, bibliocleptomanias (pl)
1. A morbid tendency or compulsion to steal and to possess books.
2. A book thief who is regarded as someone who has a mental problem.
A "private collector" acquires additional books for his personal library.
See another bibliokleptomaniac who was in the news.
bibliokleptomaniac (s) (noun)
, bibliokleptomaniacs (pl)
1. A book thief who is often regarded as being insane.
2. Someone who has an uncontrollable or a compulsive desire to steal and possess books.
bibliomania (s) (noun)
, bibliomanias (pl)
An intense desire to collect and possess books; especially, rare and curious ones; crazy about books: Kim's bibliomania
has resulted in a compulsion to have books stacked in all of her rooms, on and next to the full shelves.
© ALL rights are reserved.
Go to this Word A Day Revisited Index
so you can see more of Mickey Bach's cartoons.
bibliomaniac (s) (noun)
, bibliomaniacs (pl)
Someone who has an intense desire to collect and possess books.
, more bibliomaniacal, most bibliomaniacal
A reference to anyone who has an intense and inordinate desire to collect and possess books; especially, rare and curious ones.
bromomania (s) (noun )
, bromomanias (pl)
A mental disorder which is caused by the use of bromine; an organic mental disorder produced by chronic bromide intoxication: Bromomania is a delirium that is caused by poisoning with bromine or any of its salts.
bruxomania (s) (noun)
, bruxomanias (pl)
1. A gnashing, grinding, gritting, and clenching of the teeth in other than normal chewing movements occurring unconsciously in the daytime; sometimes resulting in a loosening of the teeth and a bleeding of the gums.
2. Compulsive and continual crushing of the teeth together, with intermittent grinding.
3. The involuntary, "nervous" grinding of the teeth while a patient is awake.
It is thought bruxomania occurs as a way to relieve tension or stress and was first diagnosed as a medical condition in 1907.
, bruxomaniacs (pl)
Someone who has a compulsive, and uncontrollable and continual crushing of the teeth together, with intermittent grinding.
brychomania (s) (noun)
, brychomanias (pl)
A nervous disorder that someone may have which is characterized by an abnormal grinding of the teeth.
You can find self-scoring quizzes over many of the words in this subject area by going to this Compulsive Behavior
Cross references of word families that are related directly, or indirectly, to: "anger, angry; rage, wrath, fury; rave":