A diseased or morally degenerate city.
1. A morbid perversion of the natural feelings, affections, inclinations, and natural impulses without any remarkable disorder of the intellect; moral insanity.
2. Madness, insanity; moral insanity.
The tendency to belittle the importance of ones disease.
An apparatus for recording the incidence of disease in a specified locality.
Now considered obsolete: Sir Ronald Ross term for the quantitative study of parasitic invasion and infection in individuals or groups of individuals.
The willful, deliberate, and fraudulent feigning, or exaggeration, of the symptoms of illness or injury; which is done for the purpose of consciously achieving some desired objective.
The feigning (faking) of a disease or disorder either deliberately or unconsciously; malingering.
Abnormal morphology (the form and structure of a particular organism, organ, or part).
1. In psychoanalysis, a neurosis that is centered around a morbid preoccupation with a diseased organ.
2. Hysterical symptoms due to a chronic disease process.
The sum of knowledge regarding the laws of disease.
1. Adapting oneself to a disease.
2. Adjustment of habits to conditions made mandatory by some chronic disease.
3. An excessive, abnormal desire to be sick; also nosophilia.
pathophobia (s) (noun)
, pathophobias (pl)
A horror of getting any kind of a disease: Thomas decided to try to keep as many viruses and germs out of his home as possible, and therefore washed his hands quite often every day, did the laundry, vacuumed, and mopped the floors every day, and his friends thought he had pathophobia for sure!
The transmission of a disease by insects, rodents, etc.
pathophoria, pathophorous, pathophoric
Conveying or causing a disease.
pathophysiology, pathophysiologic, pathophysiologically
1. The physiological processes associated with disease, injury, or disordered function; the study of such processes.
2. The disturbance of function that a disease causes in an organ, as distinct from any changes in structure that might be caused.
3. Deranged function in an individual or an organ that is due to a disease; a pathophysiologic alteration is a change in function as distinguished from a structural defect.
You can find self-scoring quizzes over many of the words in this subject area by going to this Vocabulary Quizzes