thalassophobia (s) (noun) (no plural)
An excessive aversion of the sea: Peter never liked going anywhere by boat because he had thalassophobia and was alarmed not only by the distance from land, but was also terrified of the waves, and the extensive emptiness of the ocean.
, more thalassophobic, most thalassophobic
Regarding someone who has an excessive fear of very large bodies of water: Being a thalassophbobic person, Flora usually went by train when she was traveling, or by car, but never with a boat because she hated the huge waves and being so far away from land!
thanatophobia (s) (noun)
, thanatophobias (pl)
An unwarranted and morbid dread of death or of dying: People afflicted with thanatophobia
are afraid to use the normal expressions of "death", "dying", or "died", so they use such euphemisms as "passing on", "passing away", or even "going to one's reward".
There are also those who have a dread regarding the act of deceasing because it is the ultimate unknown factor or because a loved one will be missed very much.
It's not that I'm afraid to die. I just don't want to be there when it happens.
We all labor against our own cure,
even though death is the cure of all diseases.
theatrophobia (s) (noun)
, theatrophobias (pl)
An irrational trepidation of going to plays or dramatic productions: Contrary to his wife's overly zealous desire to go to shows as often as possible, William was afflicted with theatrophobia and avoided going to any theatrical performance no matter who the stars were or how well it was publicized.
theologicophobia (s) (noun)
, theologicophobias (pl)
An abnormal apprehension of theology: Some people who experience theologicophobia think that some of its concepts are often made in obscure terms and so are not understood by many who are exposed to them.
theophobia (s) (noun)
, theophobias (pl)
1. The dislike of gods or religion: Since Judy got along with her life without going to church and listening to the preacher, she had no connection to any devine being or to any confession and her friends thought that she had theophobia
2. An abnormal angst of the wrath of the Supreme Being: Sam tried to live a religious life because, suffering from theophobia
, he was very fearful of God's punishment for sin.
This bank robber is contemplating the wrath of God because he believes that his sins could result in eternal damnation in Hell.
theriophobia (s) (noun) (no plural)
An excessive apprehension of wild animals: Patricia was really frightened of untamed and savage creatures, like wolves, bears, and varments because she had theriophobia, but she loved her tabby at home.
thermophobia (s) (noun) (no plural)
1. An excessive hatred of heat: Some people who suffer from thermophobia feel terribly uncomfortable in hot regions and sweat immoderately, besides getting a headache.
2. Intolerance of high temperatures: Polar bears live mainly within the Arctic Circle and love the sea ice covering the waters, and these bears would not survive living in hot areas at all and are therefore totally afflicted with thermophobia!
thixophobia (s) (noun) (no plural)
An irrational dread of touching or of being touched: Rebecca who suffered from thixophobia had difficulties in having relationships with boyfriends because she had problems with getting very close, kissing, and being caressed, and so she went to a doctor for help!
tocophobiac, tokophobiac (s) (noun)
; tocophobiacs; tokophobiacs (pl)
A woman who has an abnormal fear of childbirth: Janet was pregnant with her first baby and was totally afraid of labor and delivery and, as a tocophobiac, sought professional help from her gynaecologist.
tomophobia (s) (noun) (no plural)
An exaggerated fright of surgical operations: When Mandy heard from her doctor that surgery was impertinent, she was in a panic and suffering from tomophobia, so the surgeon calmed her down when he explained the procedure.
tonitrophobia, tonitruphobia (s) (noun)
, tonitrophobias, tonitruphobias (pl)
An excessive fear of thunder: During the night as it started to storm and rumble, her tonitrophobia made it impossible for her to go back to sleep.
topophobia (s) (noun) (no plural)
1. A dread of a certain place or locality: Vivian, afflicted with topophobia, avoided going to the grocery store around the corner because she had a very bad experience there once, so she went to the one farther away which had everything she needed.
2. A loathing of performing on stage: Wendy, suffering from topophobia when she had to play in the yearly recital at the civic center, began to sweat, had stomach aches, and fever the day before she had to play her piano pieces.
toxiphobia (s) (noun)
, toxiphobias (pl)
1. A terrible dread of poisons or of being poisoned: Because Jill got sick after eating at a restaurant, she went to her doctor and found out that she had a case of toxiphobia
and agreed to have medical treatment so she would not suffer any more.
2. Etymology: from Greek toxi-
, "poison + phobos
, "an extreme dread or irrational fear."
© ALL rights are reserved.
Go to this Word A Day Revisited Index
so you can see more of Mickey Bach's cartoons.
traumatophobia (s) (noun)
, traumatophobias (pl)
An intense loathing of war, physical injury, wounds, etc.: The soldier had traumatophobia as a result of being maimed in Afghanistan and seeing several of his friends being killed when they were on patrol.