1. The pinnacles or other ornaments standing in ranges on the horizontal coping or parapets of a building.
2. On classical buildings, one of the angles of a pediment; also, a statue or other ornament placed at one of these; especially, at the apex.
1. Amputation of the extremities.
2. The act of cutting off the extreme parts of the body, when putrefied, with a saw.
1. Pertaining to the tips or outermost parts.
2. The outermost points, as tips of digits, end of the nose, ears, and tail.
1. Pertaining to the absence or weakness of the pulse.
2. Pertaining to the surface or outside of certain diseases.
Absence or imperceptibility of the pulse.
Having a cleavage parallel with the base.
1. Ovariole having nutritive cells at the apex which are joined to oocytes by nutritive cords.
2. In zoology, Having the vitelligenous cells grouped at the apex; said of the meroistic ovariole of certain insects.
Pain, sensory loss, and trophic changes affecting the distal extremities, usually the feet, that can follow prolonged exposure of the limbs to cold and moisture.
Trophoneurotic disturbance of the extremities. Trophoneurotic is any trophic (nourishment) disorder caused by a defective function of the nerves concerned with nutrition of the part.
, acrotropisms (pl)
The continued growth of a plant in the same direction in which it originally started.
anacronym (s) (noun)
, anacronyms (pl)
1. A word formed from the first letters of a group of words, the original meaning of which most people don't know what the letters stand for; such as, laser and radar: The computer term URL (Uniform Resource Locator) is used on the internet as a website address, which has become an anacronym because very few people know what the letters stand for.
2. Etymology: said to be a combination of parts of the words anachronistic and acronym.
bacronym, backronym (s) (noun)
; bacronyms, backronyms (pl)
Taking a word which already exists and creating a phrase, usually humorous, using the letters of the word as initials; and so the process is the opposite of producing an acronym.
Here is an example of a bacronym: SURFSIDE: Small Unified Reactor Facility with Systems for Isotopes, Desalting, and Electricity.
Another example of a bacronym: BANANA or "Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anybody"; and GOD or "Guaranteed Overnight Delivery".
If you would like to take a self-scoring quiz over many of the words in this unit, then click Acro- Quiz