, more anthropophagic, most anthropophagic
Characterized by or relating to the consumption of humans; such as, a cannibal.
anthropophagist (s) (noun)
, anthropophagists (pl)
A habitual cannibal or someone who eats human flesh.
, more anthropophagistic, most anthropophagistic
Referring to, or characterized by, being eaters of human beings.
anthropophagite (s) (noun)
, anthropophagites (pl)
Someone who eats human flesh; a cannibal.
, more anthropophagous, most anthropophagous
1. A reference to those who eat human flesh.
2. Descriptive of eating human beings, being canibalistic.
, more anthropophagously, most anthropophagously
Relating to the consumption or eating of people.
anthropophagus (s) (noun)
, anthropophagi (pl)
1. An individual who eats the flesh of other human beings; cannibalism: In the legend Grace was reading, a group of anthropophagi
, who were seemingly mortals, were trying to catch lost people on the island to have for their dinner!
2. Etymology: the word cannibal
comes from Spanish canibal
, "a savage, cannibal"; from , "brave men".
The natives were believed to be anthropophagites. Columbus, seeking evidence that he was in Asia, thought the name meant the natives were subjects of the Great Khan.
Cannibalism also refers to an animal that eats the flesh of other animals of the same species.
© ALL rights are reserved.
Go to this Word A Day Revisited Index
so you can see more of Mickey Bach's cartoons.
anthropophagy (s) (noun)
, anthropophagies (pl)
The eating, or the consumption, of humans by other people; cannibalism.
anthropophile (s) (noun)
, anthropophiles (pl)
A life form that is attracted tp people or to society: A human-seeking, or selecting, parasite that prefers humans more than other animals as a source of blood for meals is certainly an anthropophile!
, more anthropophilic, most anthropophilic
1. A reference to human-seeking or human-preference: Blood-sucking arthropods that have a desire for the human host as a source of blood or tissues over those of other animal hosts are considered to be anthropophilic.
2. Pertaining to the existence in a human environment or favoring humans as hosts for nourishment: Anthropophilic parasites are those that show specificity for humans as opposed to other species, or of any flora or fauna that benefits from human activities.
, more anthropophilous, most anthropophilous
Relating to a preference of thriving in close proximity to mankind: Anthropophilous
creatures, such as blood-sucking anthropoids like mosquitos, certainly favor humans for their supply of nutrition.
Dermatophytic fungi are also anthropophilous organisms that grow preferably on people.
anthropophobia (s) (noun) (no plural)
A profound dislike or hatred of people in general: Those who suffer from anthropophobia have such an abhorrence of mankind that it can result in the avoidance of any social relationships with other people or specific individuals.
anthropophuism (s) (noun)
, anthropophuisms (pl)
The ascription or characteristic of a human nature to God or to gods.
, more anthropophuistic, most anthropophuistic
Referring to the belief that the gods have human natures or are only deified in that they had been raised to godlike beings.
anthropophysite (s) (noun)
, anthropophysites (pl)
Someone who ascribes or atributes human nature to a deity.
Links to other units that include the topic of "man", "mankind":
Related "people, human" word units: