diamond jubilee (s) (noun)
, diamond jubilees (pl)
An anniversary celebrating 60, or sometimes 75, years of something: Usually a diamond jubilee for a marriage includes the custom of marking the occasion with gifts that contain diamonds.
golden jubilee (s) (noun)
, golden jubilees (pl)
A fiftieth anniversary of an important event: Several couples got together to celebrate their golden jubilees at the local restaurant.
jubilance (s) (noun)
, jubilances (pl)
Joy and a great deal of emotion resulting from great happiness: Many jubilances resulted when the government decided to lower taxes for its citizens.
jubilancy (s) (noun)
, jubilancies (pl)
A feeling of great happiness and satisfaction: The university football team received a great roar of jubilancy from the students when the winning touchdown was achieved in the last second.
, more jubilant, most jubilant
Exultingly or greatly joyful and happy: The very jubilant
winners of the basketball tournament were expressing their delight and pleasure.
The newly married couple was having a jubilant celebration with their friends and family members.
© ALL rights are reserved.
Go to this Word A Day Revisited Index
so you can see more of Mickey Bach's cartoons.
, more jubilantly, most jubilantly
A reference to feeling or expressing great happiness: The fans at the concert were jubilantly showing their great pleasure when the musicians were playing and singing their songs.
jubilarian (s) (noun)
, jubilarians (pl)
Those who celebrate special anniversaries: Since Jane and Joseph have been married for 50 years, the two jubilarians were observing their Golden Jubilee with their children and grandchildren.
Jubilate (s) (noun)
, Jubilates (pl)
A song that is sung as a canticle (a hymn containing biblical text which is in the Bible) as sung in the Roman Catholic and the Anglican churches: The Jubilate
consists of Psalm 100, which starts in the Latin version as "Jubilate Deo" (Rejoice in the Lord):
Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the lands.
Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into His presence with singing!
Know that the Lord is God! It is He that made us, and we are His; we are His people, and the sheep of His pasture.
Enter His gates with thanksgiving, and His courts with praise! Give thanks to Him, bless His name!
For the Lord is good; His steadfast love endures for ever, and His faithfulness to all generations.
, jubilates; jubilated; jubilating
To feel and to express immense joy and happiness: The author of the best-selling novel was jubilating on TV about the significant acceptance of his book as indicated by the great numbers of buyers.
jubilation (s) (noun)
, jubilations (pl)
Great cheerfulness and rejoicing: When Jerome won the million dollars on the quiz program, his wife's great jubilation was understandable!
jubilee (s) (noun)
, jubilees (pl)
A special anniversary or the celebration at the time of such an anniversary: There are all kinds of jubilees which are celebrated for special occasions as shown in the Yearly Jubilees at the bottom of this page.
jubilee (after the word referred to) (adjective)
, more jubilee, most jubilee
A reference to desserts: As a final part of the evening meal, cherries jubilee were being served to the diners.
jubilee song (s) (noun)
, jubilee songs (pl)
A Negro folk song or spiritual: The jubilee songs came into existence because they were rejoicing about emancipation or freedom from slavery.
silver jubilee (s) (noun)
, silver jubilees (pl)
Connected with or describing the 25th commemoration of something: Jack and Jill invited their children to join them as they were about to celebrate their silver jubilee or silver-wedding anniversary.
Yearly Jubilees (pl) (noun)
- 1st Anniversary is Paper; no stone, Gold Jewelry
- 2nd Anniversary is Cotton or Calico; the traditional stone is Garnet
- 3rd Anniversary is Leather; the traditional stone is Pearl
- 4th Anniversary is Linen, Silk, Fruit, or Flowers; the traditional stone is Blue Topaz
- 5th Anniversary is Wood; the traditional stone is Sapphire
- 6th Anniversary is Sugar, Candy, or Iron; the traditional stone is Amethyst
- 7th Anniversary is Wool or Copper; the traditional stone is Onyx
- 8th Anniversary is Bronze or Small Electrical Appliances; the traditional stone is Tourmaline
- 9th Anniversary is Copper or Pottery; the traditional stone is Lapis lazuli
- 10th Anniversary is Tin or Aluminum; the traditional stone is Diamond
- 11th Anniversary is Steel; the traditional stone is Turquoise
- 12th Anniversary is Silk or Linen; the traditional stone is Jade
- 13th Anniversary is Lace; the traditional stone is Citrine
- 14th Anniversary is Ivory; the traditional stone is Opal
- 15th Anniversary is Crystal or Glass; the traditional stone is Ruby
- 20th Anniversary is China; the traditional stone is Emerald
- 25th Anniversary is Silver; no stone - Silver Jewelry
- 30th Anniversary is Pearl; the traditional stone is Pearl
- 35th Anniversary is Coral or Jade; the traditional stone is Emerald
- 40th Anniversary is Ruby or Rubies; the traditional stone is Ruby
- 45th Anniversary is Sapphire; the traditional stone is Sapphire
- 50th Anniversary is Golden Jubilee; no stone, but Gold Jewelry
- 55th Anniversary is Emerald; the traditional stone is Alexandrite
- 60th Anniversary is Diamond Jubilee; the traditional stone is Diamond
- 65th Anniversary is Blue Sapphire; the traditional stone is Blue Sapphire
- 70th Anniversary is Sapphire Jubilee; the traditional stone is Sapphire
- 75th Anniversary is Platinum Jubilee or Diamonds; no stone, but Platinum Jewelry
- 80th Anniversary is Ruby Jubilee; the traditional stone is Ruby