harpago-, harpag-; harpacto-, harpact-; harpaxo-, harpax-
(Latin: seize, snatch, plunder; grappling hook, drag; seizure, robbery, rapine, booty; ravish)
2. A tiny crustacean that lives among plankton and is an important food source for many fish. It is native to oceans and lakes. Subclass: Copepoda.
Copepods are minute free-living, freshwater and marine crustaceans (shell-covered); usually having six pairs of limbs on the thorax. Some are abundant in plankton and others parasitic on fish.
From Greek harpago-, harpag-, meaning “a hook for seizing; a robbery, rape, seizure, plunder”.
2. A grapnel or harpoon.
A harpoon is a long spear-like instrument used in fishing to catch fish or other large aquatic animals such as whales. A harpoon can also be used as a weapon.
After the extinction of the teratorns, the Haast's Eagle was the largest bird of prey in the world.
Teratorns were very large birds of prey that lived in North and South America from the Miocene to the Pleistocene periods. They were close relatives of modern condors.
2. A greedy, predatory person who takes advantage of other people: Greg experienced a harpy who tried to take advantage of him when he tried to borrow money from a local bank.
3. A shrewish woman: Mrs. Snow, the math teacher, was known to be a harpy among her students because she was very unpleasant, distressing and had a fierce temper.
4. A malicious, scolding, nagging, fierce-tempered woman; a woman of violent temper and speech: Mary's nextdoor neighbor, who wasn't married and didn't have any children, was certainly a harpy because she always found fault with Mary's children, was spiteful, hateful, and threatening.
5. Any of various fruit bats of the genus Nyctimene, also known as a tube-nosed bat or a tube-nosed fruit bat: Jane found out in her biology book that harpies were from the tropics, quite large and had nostrils which were prolonged into diverging hollow cylindrical structures.
6. A large black-and-white crested eagle of tropical America; also, Harpia harpyja: The harpy Janet saw in the zoo was short-winged, had a double crest and its claws and bill were extremely powerful.