neuropsychiatry, neuro-psychiatry (s) (noun)
; neuropsychiatries, neuro-psychiatries (pl)
1. Psychiatry that relates mental or emotional disturbance to disordered brain function; neurology and psychiatry as a single discipline.
2. The specialty dealing with both organic and psychic disorders of the nervous system; this is an earlier term for psychiatry
Behavioral neurology and neuropsychiatry are disciplines within the clinical neurosciences that focus on the clinical and pathological aspects of neural processes associated with cognition, emotion, and behavior.
Advances in structural and functional brain imaging, clinical electrophysiology, and experimental psychology over the last decades produced a significant growth in the clinical neurosciences, and changed fundamentally the manner in which normal and disturbed cognition, emotion, and behavior are understood clinically.
A lawyer who is an expert in medical cases.
odontoiatry, odontoiatria, odontoiatric
Dental therapeutics or the medical treatment of teeth.
1. Medical treatment of the eyes or ocular diseases.
2. A reference to ocular therapeutics.
1. A branch of psychiatry concerned especially with the prevention of mental or behavioural disorders.
2. A cross-disciplinary science combining child psychiatry, pediatrics, developmental psychology, and family care devoted to the discovery, prevention, and treatment of mental and psychological disorders in children and adolescents.
The nature and principles of the medical treatment of the ears.
1. The medical treatment of the ears.
2. The art of healing diseases of the ears.
pediatric, paediatric (adjective)
; more pediatric, more paediatric; most pediatric, most paediatric
Pertaining to or a reference to treating the diseases of children.
pediatrician, paediatrician (s) (noun)
; pediatricians, paediatricians (pl)
A physician who specializes in the treatment of children and their development and care and of the diseases of children and their treatment.
pediatrics (pl) (noun) (a plural used as a singular)
1. The branch of medical science dealing with the study of childhood and the diseases of children.
2. The medical specialty concerned with the diagnosing and treatment of children in health and disease during their development from birth through adolescence.
pediatry (s) (noun)
, pediatries (pl)
The care and medical care of children: Pediatry is a branch of medicine that is devoted to the study of, diagnosis, and treatment of children.
A physician who treats prisoners, as in a penitentiary.
A rarely used term for pediatrics.
1. A term used for someone who is interested in the study of medicine; a medical student.
2. Having a special attraction to or fondness for the study of medicine.
Related "health" word families and articles:
Hygeia > hygiene > health;
You may take a self-scoring quiz over some of the words in this unit by just clicking on this Iatro Quiz to check your word knowledge and to learn more about these words.