An unhealthy process of putting on excessive weight (fat) by excessive eating of fat-producing foods (snacks, fast foods, etc.).
Could this guy also have a significant obsession known as callomania, or the delusion that a person thinks he or she is "beautiful" or, in this case, physically well developed and handsome?
An instrument for determining the thickness of the skin fold, as a means of determining the presence of obesity.
, adiponecroses (pl) (nouns)
Necrosis of fatty tissue or death of fatty-tissue cells; as in hemorrhagic pancreatitis.
Pertaining to, characterized by, or promoting adipopexis (storage of fats).
Fixation of fats; storage of fats.
The fixation or storing of fats.
adipophobia (s) (noun)
, adipophobias (pl)
An abnormal dread of being too fat: Sharon’s sister was thought to suffer from adipophobia
because she was extremely concerned about weighing too much and so she tried to eat very little at meal times.
1. A condition in which painful areas of subcutaneous fat develop.
2. A neuropathic state in which there are painful areas of subcutaneous fat.
, more adipose, most adipose
1. Denoting fat or containing animal fat: The adipose
tissues consist of fat in the bodies of animals; including, humans.
2. A reference to a fatty nature: There are some people who have adipose
bodies which is also known as obesity.
The adipose tissue, just below the skin and surrounding major organs, provides an energy reserve and insulation and protection for the body.
3. Etymology: from modern Latin adiposus
, "fatty"; from adeps, adip
© ALL rights are reserved.
© ALL rights are reserved.
Go to this Word A Day Revisited Index
so you can see more of Mickey Bach's cartoons.
Obesity or corpulence; an excessive accumulation of fat in the body.
1. Excessive local or general accumulation of fat in the body; also see lipomatosis, liposis, steatosis.
2. Corpulence, obesity; excessive accumulation of fat in the body, local or general.
An inflammatory reaction of the subcutaneous fat, which may involve the connective tissue septa between the fat lobes, the septa lobules and vessels, or the fat lobules; characterized by the development of single or multiple cutaneous nodules. Also panniculitis.
adiposity (s) (noun)
1. Obesity or a condition of being fat.
2. Corpulence; fatness.
3. Excessive accumulation of lipids (fat) in a site or organ of the body.
A combination of obesity and retarded development of sex glands resulting from impaired function of pituitary and hypothalamus.
Cosmetic surgery in which fat is removed from under the skin by a special kind of vacuum suction. Better known as liposuction.
Other related units of fat words: