Having hair on the skin.
Pain that results when the hair is touched.
1. Impaired nutrition of hair, which can lead to baldness.
2. Defective nutrition of hair, often culminating in alopecia. May be acquired or congenital; the latter often with metabolic or other birth defects.
A benign skin tumor originating in the hair follicles.
trichoesthesiometer (s) (noun)
, trichoesthesiometers (pl)
An electric appliance for measuring or determining the amount of sensation when the hair is touched: Dr. Hairschnitz, a dermatologist, developed a unique trichoesthesiometer which was used in the research lab to study hair, scalps, and other aspects of the skin.
An agent that promotes or stimulates the growth of hair.
Promoting the growth of hair.
1. A hairy condition of the tongue which is a benign side effect of some antibiotics; dark overgrowth of the papillae of the tongue.
2. A lengthening of the filiform papillae, producing an appearance as if the tongue were covered with hair.
The production of "goose flesh" when stroking the skin; pilomotor or moving hairs.
trichogyne, trichogynes, trichogynic
1. A hairlike terminal process forming the receptive part of the female reproductive structure in certain fungi or algae.
2. The slender, hairlike cell which receives the fertilizing particles, or antherozoids, in red seaweeds.
1. A substance of the nature of keratohyalin (colorless-translucent protein) found in the developing inner root sheath of the hair follicle.
2. The hyaline (clear, translucent, and containing no fibers or granular material) of the hair.
2. Similar to or like hair.
An abnormal desire to break off one's hair or beard with the fingernails.
1. A concretion on the hair; the lesion of piedra.
Piedra is either of two diseases resulting from fungal infection of the hair shafts. Black piedra occurs mainly in and on the hairs of the scalp and is caused by piedraia hortae; white piedra occurs in and on the hairs of the scalp, beard, moustache and genital areas and is caused by trichosporon beigelii.
2. A calcified hair ball within the stomach or intestines.
1. A nervous habit of plucking at one's hair.
2. The pulling of one's hair as in a rage or delirium.