apolune (s) (noun)
, apolunes (pl)
The point in the orbit of a spacecraft circling the moon when it is farthest from the moon's center.
, more circumlunar, most circumlunar
1. A reference to revolving or rotating around the moon.
2. Characteristic of surrounding the moon.
, more cislunar, most cislunar
Relating to or referring to something that is situated between the earth and the moon.
demilune (s) (noun)
, demilunes (pl)
1. A half-moon or a crescent moon .
2. A crescent-shaped cell; such as, one of the serous cells of the body known as a submandibular salivary gland.
ex luna scientia (Latin)
Translation: "From the moon, knowledge."
The words, ex luna scientia were inscribed on the mission patch worn on the uniforms of the crew of Apollo 13.
The phrase was the motto of the moon mission and was derived from ex scientia tridens, the motto of Jim Lovell's Alma Mater, the United States Naval Academy.
Jim Lovell was a former NASA astronaut and a retired captain in the United States Navy, who was most famous as the commander of the Apollo 13 mission, which suffered a critical failure on the way to the moon, but it was brought back safely to earth with the skills of the crew and the mission control staff.
Referring to a moonless night or being without any moonlight.
Pertaining to the period between the old and new moon during which the moon is not visible from the Earth.
Descriptive of a period or time when the moon can't be seen from this planet.
interlunation (s) (noun)
, interlunations (pl)
The period of time between the old and the new moon.
A reference to being crazier, more foolish, or sillier: Although the politician was making promises that were obviously impossible to achieve, he continued to make loonier claims that he would make his government more profitable for everyone.
Relating to being the craziest or most foolish: There are some people who are convinced that President Donald Trump is the looniest person in history with all of his flip-flopping statements and behaviors.
loony, looney, luny (s) (noun)
; loonies, looneys, luny
1. An offensive term that deliberately insults someone's intelligence and ability to act rationally: Someone has said that every family includes someone who's a little loony.
2. Anyone who behaves in an eccentric or thoughtless way.
3. A shortening, informal, and altered version of lunatic.
luna (s) (noun)
, lunas (pl)
1. A personified name of the moon.
2. When capitalized, Luna is the Roman goddess of the moon. The Greek equivalent is Selene.
The lunar lowlands (the dark-colored regions as seen from the earth).
1. The condition of being a lunatic; intermittent insanity such as was formerly supposed to be brought about by the changes of the moon; now applied generally to any form of insanity (idiocy is usually excepted).
In legal use, such mental unsoundness that interferes with civil rights or transactions. Also, a fit or attack of such insanity.
2. It is now considered an offensive term for any psychiatric disorder that rendered patients legally incompetent and required them to be taken into care.
This term was supposedly never used by physicians in medical or psychiatric contexts.
3. Now, it is considered to be an unintelligent, inconsiderate, or misguided behavior, or an example of it.
4. A foolish act.