2. A self-propelled conveyance that runs on tires: Vehicles are designed to transport passengers or items over land and include automobiles, trucks, busses, and railway cars.
Generally, vehicles that transport people also involve aircraft, ships, motorcycles, motorbikes, and even bicycles.3. A medium through which something is transmitted, expressed, or accomplished: Harry's written statements are a vehicle for presenting his political views.
4. The concrete or specific word or phrase that is applied to the main message of a metaphor and gives it a figurative power: Shakespeare used the metaphor of a shadow as the vehicle of expression when he wrote "Life's but a walking shadow."
5. A play, a role, or a piece of music used to display the special talents of one performer or company: Performing the concerto with the orchestra was to be the vehicle to success for Tim Tom.
6. A substance of no therapeutic value but which is used to convey an active medicine for administration: The ingredients listed on the package of vitamins included water-soluble glucose as one of the vehicles in the formulation of the capsule.
7. A substance; such as, oil, in which paint pigments are mixed for applications: Egg yoke is used by some artists as the vehicle for applying paint to canvas surfaces.
8. Any inanimate object that can transmit infectious agents from one person to another: A towel, money, clothing, dishes, books, or toys, etc. can be the vehicles by which other people can become infected with a disease from other users.
9. Etymology: from about 1612, (in medical use) a medium through which a drug or medicine is administered; around 1615, any means of "conveying" or "transmitting"; borrowed from French vehicule, and directly from Latin vehiculum, "a means of transport"; "a vehicle" came from vehere, "to carry".
2. Any ground vehicle whose original source of energy is electric power; such as, an electric car or an electric locomotive.
2. A hybrid fuel cell vehicle also derives drive motor power from a supplemental battery or ultracapacitor.
The vehicle could be either a dedicated vehicle designed to operate exclusively on alternative fuel or a nondedicated vehicle designed to operate on alternative fuel and/or a traditional fuel.
Each fuel is stored in a separate tank.