2. To have achieved approval, often from a legislative body: The political organization passed a new resolution regarding membership.
The legislators passed a new law about speeding automobiles.
3. To have gone around or to have gone away from: The speeding red car passed the bus which was moving slowly up the hill.
The traveling circus passed through the town after their performance.
4. To have changed or replaced ownership from one person to another: The line of inheritance was passed from the father to the son.
5. To have achieved a successful completion of a task: When the test scores were posted, Jim noticed that he had passed the English grammar examination.
6. To have exceeded or surpassed: The new shopping mall passed all expectations in terms of variety of stores and shops.
2. Referring to an individual who has held a position of authority or ownership; former: Dina was the past president of the musical organization.
The past owner of the red sports car took very good care of it.
Those who cannot remember what has passed into the past are condemned to repeat it.