2. To place, to set, or to position in a particular location: Please lay all the maps on the table so Tracie can look at them.
3. To impose a duty or a penalty: The government may lay a heavy tax on the importing of machinery.
The child said, "I cannot tell a lie, I did not lay the box carefully on the shelf and that is why it fell off."
2. To rest in a recumbent and horizontal position: Lenora decided to lie on the sofa for a few minutes to repose after her busy afternoon.
It would be a lie if Bonita told Trina that she made the lye at home when she actually bought it at the store so she could lie on the sofa sooner.
Tasha lay back on the pillows and watched the TV program; in fact, she lies that way quite often.2. Something that rests flat on a surface: The book lay open on the desk as Lorena took notes for her class assignment.
3. To be kept or to remain in a specific condition situation: Many homes and businesses are lying in ruins from the destruction caused by the tornadoes during these last days.
4. To see or view something in a specific direction or location: As the group of tourists were standing near the rim of the canyon, they could see the river and other scenic areas that lay below them.