2. Wealth or riches: There are too many who have lost their fortunes in bad investments.
3. Great wealth; ample stock of money, property, and the like: Gisela's inheritance appears to be worth a fortune.
4. An unknown and unpredictable phenomenon that leads to a favorable outcome: Each of the brothers had the good fortune of marrying the right women.
Fortunes are things that happen or are going to happen to a person in his or her life.
5. Fate; one's lot or destiny: Josh is prepared to live with whatever his fortune may provide.
6. Having unintended success and prosperity: Harriet's family was blessed with a fortune as a result of their investments.
7. Someone's destiny or future events: The impromptu celebration was the result of fortune for everyone concerned.