You searched for:
alternate, alternate, alternate, alternative
(AWL tur nayt) (verb
Occurring by turns; succeeding each other, take turns, change: Tyrone and his sister alternate washing the supper dishes.
One and then the other; every other, successive: Each of the two druggists works on alternate
The awning had alternate red and white stripes.
(AWL tur nit) (noun
Standby, backup, understudy: Karl attended the political convention not as a delegate but as an alternate.
(awl TUR nuh tiv) (noun
A choice between two or among more than two things; something remaining to be chosen; an option: Is there an alternative
to going to the party tonight?
If Vernon wants to get to Los Angeles by tonight, he has no alternative but to go by plane.
The two words have quite separate and distinct meanings: alternate
implies the taking of turns, while alternative implies a choice.
Let's not blow alternately
hot and cold on this; the alternative to holding the line is fuzziness of meanings.
1. Existing outside traditional or established institutions or systems: The new family lived an alternative lifestyle that the neighbors thought was strange.
2. Suggesting or reflecting values that are different from those of a social establishment or mainstream: There was an alternativenewspaper that reported all kinds of misbehavior by public officials, movie and other entertainment personalities, and even some religious leaders.
alternative (s) (noun)
, alternatives (pl)
Allowing or necessitating a choice between two or more things; considering another possibility: Jane's parents were unable to pay for her college fees; so, she had no alternative
but to find a part-time job.
If Mark wants to get to Los Angeles by tonight, he has no alternative but to go by plane.
© ALL rights are reserved.
Go to this Word A Day Revisited Index
so you can see more of Mickey Bach's cartoons.
Word Entries containing the term:
alternative fuel (s) (noun)
, alternative fuels (pl)
A fuel other than gasoline for powering motor vehicles: Examples of alternative fuels include natural gas, methanol, or electricity.
This entry is located in the following unit:
plebian, an alternative spelling of plebeian
1. Belonging to, or pertaining to, the common people.
2. A reference to, or belonging to, the ancient Roman plebs.
3. Common, commonplace, or vulgar; such as, a plebian or a plebeian joke.
Word Entries at Get Words:
1. Another possibility.
2. Another choice.
"Betty's parents could not longer pay for her college fees, and so she had no alternative but to find a part-time job."
Allowing or necessitating a choice that is limited to one of two or more other possibilities. (1)
Word Entries at Get Words containing the term:
alternative dispute resolution, ADR
A procedure whereby a criminal case is redefined as a civil one and the case is decided by an impartial arbiter, where other parties agree to an amicable settlement.
This is usually reserved for minor offenses.
A variety of alternative fuels include:
- Denatured ethanol, and other alcohols.
- Fuel mixtures containing 85 percent or more by volume of methanol, denatured ethanol, and other alcohols with gasoline or other fuels; such as, natural gas.
- Liquefied petroleum gas (propane).
- Coal-derived liquid fuels.
- Fuels (other than alcohol) derived from biological materials (biofuels; such as, soy diesel fuel).
- Electricity (including electricity from solar energy).
Medical practices that are not officially recognized by the mainstream medical community.
alternative-fuel vehicle (AFV)
A vehicle designed to operate on an alternative fuel; for example, compressed natural gas, methane blend, and electricity.
The vehicle could be either a dedicated vehicle designed to operate exclusively on alternative fuel or a nondedicated vehicle designed to operate on alternative fuel and/or a traditional fuel.