The normal areas of acoustical engineering include, among others: architectural and musical acoustics, noise and vibration control, underwater acoustics, ultrasonics, communication engineering, shock and vibration engineering, and instrumentation engineering.
- Architectural and musical acoustics or environments involving sounds.
- Noise and vibration control or keeping sounds within acceptable limits.
- Underwater acoustics or sonar engineering oceans.
- Ultrasonics or ultra-high-frequency sounds and vibrations.
- Communication engineering or the transmissions of spoken information.
- Shock and vibration engineering is a part of mechanical and structural engineering.
- Instrumentation engineering relates to all of the preceding issues, such as the design and applications of sensors for sounds and vibrations, of sounds and vibration generators, of recording systems, and of data analysis equipment.