"The normal areas of acoustical engineering include, among others: architectural and musical acoustics, noise and vibration control, underwater acoustics, ultrasonics, communication engineering, shock and vibration engineering, and instrumentation engineering.
- Architectural and musical acoustics or environments involving sounds.
- Noise and vibration control or keeping sounds within acceptable limits.
- Underwater acoustics or sonar engineering oceans.
- Ultrasonics or ultra-high-frequency sounds and vibrations.
- Communication engineering or the transmissions of spoken information.
- Shock and vibration engineering is a part of mechanical and structural engineering.
- Instrumentation engineering relates to all of the preceding issues; such as, the design and applications of sensors for sounds and vibrations, of sounds and vibration generators, of recording systems, and of data analysis equipment.