mania-, -mania, -maniac, -maniacal, -manic, -manically, -maniacally
(Greek: a specific mental disorder or obsessive preoccupation with something; madness, frenzy; obsession, or abnormal desire for or with something or someone; also, an excessive enthusiasm or fondness for something)
2. A mental illness in which patients are driven to repeat the same act; such as, washing their hands, over and over again, usually for many hours: Some compulsive disorders, as indicated in ablutomanias, are often considered to be obsessive-compulsive psychoneuroses.
Some ablutomanias are enormously time-consuming. A woman named Beth felt compelled to wash her hands in a certain way after touching unclean objects; namely, from fingers to wrist, from wrist to elbow, and from elbow to upper arm, and then to repeat the performance several times until her anxiety was over. As a result, Beth's hands often became painfully raw.
Arthur had ablutomanias that involved washing in a certain ritualistic order whenever he had a bath or cleaned objects. He said, "When I wash clothes or clean anything—floor, carpet, windows, and so on—I have to clean them in a specific way to make sure I do not miss anything. I can never hurry because I would not feel that it has been done properly."
When the thoughts and rituals of obsessive-compulsive disorders are intense, the victim's work and home life disintegrate. With severe compulsions, there are endless rituals that dominate the person every day.
2. A pathological indecisiveness.
2. Any type of insanity in which agitation and motor excitement are prominent.
Could this guy also have a significant obsession known as callomania, or the delusion that a person thinks he or she is "beautiful" or, in this case, physically well developed and handsome?
2. An intense enthusiasm for having many cats around; sometimes, even when conditions are not suitable for their existence.
3. An abnormal love of cats.
2. A morbid dislike of being alone.
Go to this Word A Day Revisited Index
so you can see more of Mickey Bach's cartoons.
2. An abnormal interest in streets.