abrakophile, abrakophilist (s) (noun)
; abrakophiles, abrakophilists (pl)
A collector who has a fondness for collecting knickknacks or trinkets.
abrakophilia (s) (noun)
A fondness for collecting knickknacks or trinkets.
abrakophilism (s) (noun)
, abrakophilisms (pl)
acarophile (s) (noun)
, acarophiles (pl)
That which thrives in association with mites; or which is attracted to, or attractive to mites.
Thriving in association with mites (very small insects that live in foods, on plants, or on animals; including humans).
acarophily (s) (noun)
, acarophilies (pl)
1. Thriving in association with mites.
2. Cooperative relationships between plants and mites.
acidophil, acidophile (s) (noun)
; acidophils, acidophiles (pl)
1. An organism that grows well in a highly acid (sour, sharp) media.
2. Cells that stain readily with acidic dyes.
1. A reference to organisms that thrive in an acidic (sharp, pungent, bitter) environment.
2. A designation of a microorganism that grows well in a highly acid medium.
3. A description of any microorganism that can or must live in an acidic environment (pH below 6).
4. Referring to anything that is easily stained with acid dye.
acidophily (s) (noun)
, acidophilies (pl)
1. Thriving in an acid medium or a substance that is sour.
2. Having an affinity for acid dyes; denoting a cell or tissue element that stains with an acid dye, such as eosin.
3. Used to describe microorganisms or plants that flourish in an acid environment.
acridophile (s) (noun)
, acridophiles (pl)
A bird or animal that has a fondness for grasshoppers and/or locusts as a
source of food.
An attraction to grasshoppers or locusts as a source of food.
Most of the locust's natural enemies; primarily,
beetles, flies, and wasps are neither numerous enough on the ground nor
mobile enough in the air to challenge vast swarms of locusts.
Birds regularly attack locusts, but their effect is only marginal.
African kites drop from the sky and they barrel-roll through the swarm,
grabbing locusts with snaps of their beaks, then they climb high to peel
Having an attraction or appetite for grasshoppers, locusts, and/or crickets
as a source for food.
acrodendrophile (s) (noun)
, acrodendrophiles (pl)
A description of a species that lives or thrives in treetop habitats.
You may take a self-scoring quiz over some of the words in this section by just clicking this Philo Quiz #1
Related "love, fondness" units: