You searched for: “akousticophobias”
acousticophobia, akousticophobia (s) (noun); acousticophobias, akousticophobias (pl)
An extreme anxiety of hearing noises in general or specific noises or sounds: Bertha, who suffers from acousticophobia, reacts with fright to unusual or unexpected uproars because she feels as if her environment is completely out of control and she is unable to stop the frightening clamors.
New York mayor started campaign to crack down on noise
- In the year 2002, the mayor of New York, Michael Bloomberg, went after the noise makers.
- He announced a program to tackle the quality-of-life problem most vexing to New York residents: barking dogs, screeching car alarms, music blaring from cars, and drunken bar patrons who share their feelings with everyone on the block at 3 a.m.
- The initiative, known as "Operation Silent Night", was the city's most aggressive attack on noise since 1994.
- The operation was set up to focus on twenty-four neighborhoods that had been identified as among the noisiest, based on calls to the city's quality-of-life hot line.
- Tickets ranging from $5 to $25,000 for businesses with excessive noise complaints were to be issued: arrests, in the most extreme cases, might be made, and cars with blaring alarms were to be towed away.
This entry is located in the following units: acous-, acou-, acouo-, acoustico-, acouto-, acousti-, -acousia, -acousis, -acoustical, acu-, -acusis-, -acusia (page 3) phobo-, phob-, -phobia, -phobias, -phobe, -phobiac, -phobist, -phobic, -phobism, -phobous (page 1)
akousticophobia (s) (noun), akousticophobias (pl)
An uncommon and overly apprehensive concern about sounds: An elderly woman who had lived many years without any contact with friends, relatives, or other people, was overly sensitive to any noise that she did not cause and so it is proper to assume that she had a condition known as akousticophobia!
This entry is located in the following unit: phobo-, phob-, -phobia, -phobias, -phobe, -phobiac, -phobist, -phobic, -phobism, -phobous (page 2)